April 29, 2010

Full Moon Over The Flying Dragon


In honor of Guy Gavriel Kay coming to the store in May to celebrate the launch of his new book Under Heaven 
I've selected a poem by Li Bai 

Alone and Drinking Under the Moon

Amongst the flowers I
am alone with my pot of wine
drinking by myself; then lifting
my cup I asked the moon
to drink with me, its reflection
and mine in the wine cup, just
the three of us; then I sigh
for the moon cannot drink,

and my shadow goes emptily along
with me never saying a word;
with no other friends here, I can 
but use these two for company;
in the time of happiness, I 
too must be happy with all
around me; I sit and sing
and it is as if the moon

accompanies me; then if I
dance, it is my shadow that
dances along with me; while 
still not drunk, I am glad 
to make the moon and my shadow
into friends, but then when
I have drunk too much, we
all part; yet these are 

friends I can always count on
these who have no emotion
whatsoever; I hope that one day
we three will meet again,
deep in the Milky Way. 

(poem from Poet Seers)

As I walked the dog around the courtyard on this evening of the full moon, I remembered another poem by an Australian writer, Judith Wright, that is included in Classic Poetry: An Illustrated Collection  selected by Michael Rosen with pictures by Paul Howard 

Full Moon Rhyme
There's a hare in the moon tonight,
crouching alone in the bright buttercup field of the moon;
and all the dogs in the world
howl at the hare in the moon.

(read the rest here and then buy the book here or there)

Over at Terri Windling's Drawing Board she has reminded me that we are close to Beltane , it brings to mind the haunting music, Huron 'Beltane' Fire Dance, by Lorenna McKennitt and the novel, Ysabel , by Guy Gavriel Kay that takes place at Beltane.

Etcetera
Make a cup of tea and settle down to enjoy Nancy Pearl 
interviewing Guy Gavriel Kay. - Cath


No comments:

Post a Comment