May 31, 2010

Delicious Summer Reading: A Homemade Life























Is there anything more satisfying than reading about food? Being an amateur foodie myself, I gravitate towards well-written food fiction, such as the charming School of Essential Ingredients and the sensual Like Water for Chocolate. I’ve even been known to branch out of fiction into food-related non-fiction and memoir. One of my recent favourites is Molly Wizenberg’s memoir A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen Table. Molly is the author of the popular blog Orangette, a collection of recipes and delightful food-based anecdotes. Molly adopts her blog’s friendly, inviting tone in her book, sharing the story of her life through food. The book is full of delicious recipes ranging from the perfect French toast to cider-glazed salmon to savoury salad dressings. I like the way Molly talks you through her recipes; she is supportive and clear in her instructions. In between the recipes, Molly shares the moments that shaped her life. Part cook book, part coming of age novel, part love story, I savoured every word of this memoir. A must read! -Vikki VanSickle
  

No comments:

Post a Comment