March 6, 2010

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

I love when a random pick at the video store introduces me to a great book. While wandering through Videoflicks, mindlessly trying to decided what I was in the mood for, I came across Gerald Durrell's My Family & Other Animals.
"This is the story of a five-year sojourn that I and my family made on the Greek island of Corfu. It was originally intended to be a mildly nostalgic account of the natural history of the island, but I made a grave mistake by introducing my family into the book in the first few pages. Having got themselves on paper, they then proceeded to establish themselves and invite various friends to share the chapters. It was only with the greatest difficulty, and by exercising considerable cunning, that I manages to retain a few pages here and there which I could devote exclusively to animals."
"Sometimes it's pretty hard to tell them apart...my family and the animals that is. I don't know why my brothers and sister complain so much. With snakes in the bath and scorpions on the lunch table, our house, on the island of Corfu, is a bit like a circus. So they should feel right at home..." - Gerald Durrell
A brilliantly chaotic, hilariously funny classic where the movie does justice to the book. - Cath

No comments:

Post a Comment